Saturday, August 15, 2009

Neda Firouz - Managing Diverse Associations

As published in a Community Association Management magazine in November of 2006, here is an article by Neda Firouz regarding Managing Diverse Associations:

As a community manager, it sometimes seems like we need a psychology degree - especially since we are always interacting with people who have a multitude of different personalities and who come from many dissimilar backgrounds. The reality is that one of the most difficult issues for managers to deal with (and one which may not initially be apparent) is the diversification within each community.

I have come across more than one hundred homeowners associations, in locations from Calabasas Park to Santa Monica, and from Los Feliz to Long Beach. Each association is unique in terms of its needs and the demographics of the area. One of the factors which has contributed to my success as a community manager is my sympathy for and awareness of the various needs and personalities within each community. My experience has shown that there is one thing which all these people with different backgrounds have in common: they merely want you to listen. The key for managers is to differentiate how to listen and react with a mixture of different people.

One of my experiences included a community with over 500 units, which includes a very diverse group of residents. My method of communicating with the members was very different, depending on the circumstances. For example, when I would speak to a college student, I would tend to communicate more casually. If I seem like a very strict authoritative person with these younger groups, I am not well-received. When I deal with various ethnic backgrounds, sometimes I find that it helps for me to relate to them with my own personal diverse background and upbringing. In the end, however, all people simply want to feel is that they have been heard. Even if I cannot accomplish what the resident exactly wants, if I have truly listened to all concerned persons and have taken into account their respective needs, the underlying problem or issue is much closer to being resolved.

By Neda Firouz

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on all these accomplishments.

Daniel said...

Well done! Continue your good job.

Ssteven said...

I can parallel your expierences in dealing with all sorts of ethnic groups and lifestyles...One has to be flexible in his or her thinking and always listen to what the other person has to tell you..It's amazing how much you can learn from just listening to other people.